Thursday, May 9, 2013

Want to learn how to be healthy? Good luck with that!

Want to lose weight?  Want to improve your health?  Shouldn't be that hard, right?  Just do a little research on what the current medical thinking is, put it into practice by modifying your food choices, and you're on your way.  Plenty of books out there and stuff on the Internet with ideas on how to achieve major bombastic weight loss.  I know you've heard about this diet book:  Become a Sparkly Skeleton in 10 Days Eating only 5 Carbs and Chewing on Paper Napkins.  Piece of cake.  (Well, not cake, maybe -- what about sugar free pudding?)




But what is the current medical consensus on the best diet or the best exercise?  I hate to say it, but there's no way for us mere mortals to tell.  There are doctors who say you should pretty much eat an All Meat All the Time diet and those who say Meat is the Devil.  And you can find doctors, athletes and poseurs championing everything in between.

Best exercise?  Well, all you need to do is walk moderately for 30 minutes a day, right?  No, no, that won't do it -- you need to do some High Intensity Interval Training for your exercise to matter.  Gotta get your heart rate into the stratosphere.  You need yoga, you need kick aerobics -- and on and on.

I'm so confused by all the contradictory information that's out there, much of it coming from people with impressive credentials.  Maybe you are confused too.  There are so many differing opinions.  I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

But despite that each diet advocate insists that theirs is the best and only diet that will work for everyone, I'm beginning to think that no one "diet" is right for everyone.  Same as to exercise programs.  I have tried a zillion (only a slight exaggeration) different diets and only gotten results from a very few.  But I have, finally, gotten results, and I know you can too -- if you find the right diet for you.

This blog, Food Choice City, will provide my reviews of the various diets I come across.  I am going to run through them here for you to save you the time spent reading all the various books now on the market.  I also hope to cover exercise programs, with special focus on running.  My current love is for trail running because pounding the hills and dipping into mud pits puts me in a meditative state.



Just to let you know where I stand on food choices -- my current bias (for myself, at least) is toward a vegan diet.  I have not achieved this even close to 100 percent.  It is just a goal that I have made some progress toward.  And I do believe it would be good for me if I could go 100 percent Vegan.  But there are some writers who swear by a diet that's heavy in meat and other animal products, and I respect their detailed analysis. For them, these diets seem to have worked and worked really well.  And maybe they would work for you.

Because of my current bias toward a vegan diet, I will probably early on cover some of the Celebrities of the Field:  Neal Barnard, T. Colin Campbell, Joel Fuhrman, Scott Jurek.  But I also respect the work of Gary Taubes and there's no way this man could ever be confused with a vegan.  No Way.

So...on we go.   In each post I will try to cover some of the major points of one of the diets I have read about in the hopes that someone out there might discover something they haven't heard about elsewhere that will help them achieve their health goals.  So hop on for the ride -- you have only your Porcine Physique and flabby gluteus maximus to lose!

Be careful, though -- I am not a Medical Doctor nor do I play one on T.V.  I am not even a PhD. So everything I post here must be taken with a grain of salt and run through your own rigorous process of evaluation (Ouija Board?  Random numbers generator?) of what is really best for you and your health.  You may even want to talk things over with your own Doctor.   Me, I am just a humble Book Reviewer and Ten Cent Pundit,  offering unsolicited opinions and trying to insure that Information (which needs to be Free) gets the best possible Circulation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Any experience with this? Agree? Disagree? Let us hear from you!